Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP, LLC
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL, KATONAH, NY (JOHN JAY HS)
Westchester County, NY 10536 United States
One of America’s outstanding high schools, JOHN JAY HIGH SCHOOL in Katonah, New York, is seeking a new Principal.
Located 45 miles north of New York City in Westchester County, the Katonah-Lewisboro school district covers an area of about 55 square miles and primarily encompasses parts of two towns: Bedford and Lewisboro; the district serves portions of the Towns of Pound Ridge and North Salem as well. The 1,200-student high school is named after John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
John Jay High School offers a wide variety of elective course offerings from skill level programs to honors and Advanced Placement courses. In addition, extensive interscholastic, intramural and programs in the fine and performing arts are offered. The curriculum format for the school focuses on the development of strong basic skills through a challenging curriculum leading to solid academic preparation for college and other post-secondary objectives. Excellence in education is a top priority for community residents as reflected in its expenditure per pupil of $29,000. The Principal is supported by three assistant principals.
Recently, stakeholders of John Jay High School were given the opportunity to identify reasons why the Principalship of John Jay High School is an attractive opportunity. They said in part:
• John Jay is truly a student-centered school, a safe place for teachers and students, and offers an opportunity for a Principal to be an effective instructional leader
• The school offers a great variety of courses including opportunities such as science research, AP, and Honors programs
• JJHS parents value a good education and staff and students feel comfortable and happy in the school
• The resources available to the school are excellent
Education, training, experience:
The following characteristics have been determined to be the primary qualifications for candidates interested in this position:
• An experienced and successful classroom teacher and administrator who is able to mentor and coach teachers and staff to higher levels of job performance
• A fair, compassionate and collaborative educator who has worked in a high performing school district and is familiar with current issues confronting educators in New York
• A visible, approachable and highly ethical administrator, with an open-door policy, who will take the time to come to know and listen to the students, staff and parents of the school
• A visionary educator with clear ideas, both short and long-term, as to how to go about achieving a vision that has been collaboratively developed
• An educator with a presence and strong belief system which allow for independence in thinking and action
• A politically-skilled administrator who communicates effectively with all of the school’s stakeholders
Additionally, the successful candidate must possess or be eligible for a New York State certificate: SBL, or SAS. The starting date for the successful candidate is flexible but in no case will it be later than summer 2013. A regionally-competitive salary will be offered.
Applications are requested as soon as possible, but not later than January 31, 2013.
Terms & Conditions